Everyone knows that this is the age of computer and vast majority of people are using a computer. Development of science and technology has direct effect on our daily life as well as in our social life. Computer technology has made communication possible from one part of the world to the other in seconds. They can see the transactions in one part of the world while staying in the other part. Computer development is one of the greatest scientific achievements of the 20th century. Computers are used in various fields as well as in teaching and learning. Some of the major computer application fields are listed below.
- An aid to management: The computer can also be used as a management tool to assist in solving business problems.
- Banking: Branches are equipped with terminals giving them an online accounting facility and enabling them to information as such things as current balances, deposits, overdrafts and interest charges.
- Industrial Application: In industry, production may be planned, coordinated and controlled with the aid of a computer.
- Engineering Design: Computer help in calculating that all the parts of a proposed design are satisfactory and also assist in the designing.
- Meteorology: Data is recorded at different levels of atmosphere at different places, using remote sensors carried on a satellite.
- Air Travel: Small computers are installed as a part of the plane’s equipment.
- Road Traffic Control: Computers assist with the control of traffic lights.
- Telephones: Computerized telephone exchanges handle an ever increasing volume of calls very efficiently.
- Medicine: Computers are widely used in hospitals for such task as maintaining drugs, surgical equipments and linen, for payroll and also for checkup and treatment of diseases.
In addition, computers are also used for recording and film studios, research, military, etc.
Computers have both positive and negative impact in our daily life as well as in our social life. But the gross development of the nation is faster with the application of computers in industries and education. Both positive and negative impacts of computers are listed below.
Positive Impact of Computer –
- The work can be done in very less time.
- More information can be stored in small space.
- Multitasking and multiprocessing capabilities of data.
- Easy to access data.
- Documents can be kept secret.
- Error-free result.
- It can be used for various purposes. i.e. It can be used in any type of work.
Negative Impact of Computer –
- Highly expensive.
- Data piracy.
- Increased Unemployment.
- Huge data and information can be lost sometimes.
- Fast changing computer technology.
- Service distribution.
- Illiteracy of computing and computers.
THESE LINKS EXPLAIN MORE ABOUT COMPUTERS
THIS VIDEO SUMMARISES THE IMPACT OF COMPUTERS TO SOCIETYUg