Chemistry is the study of matter. Its composition, (what it is made of), and its properties.
By doing practical
For every experiment done there is:
Why is the experiment done?
How is the experiment done?
What happens when the experiment is done?
- Don’t enter the lab unless there is somebody who is more responsible e.g the teacher or a lab technician.
- Walk into the laboratory in an orderly manner
- Don’t do any experiment until you have been given dear instructions.
- Most of the apparatus used is glassware therefore it must be handling with care. For example reagent bottles should not be held by the neck and apparatus should not be placed at the edge of the table.
- Don’t handle hot apparatus with your bare hands
- Any boiling or test tube where chemicals are being heating must not be pointed at anybody
- Do not taste anything unless the teacher tells you it’s safe and do not bring any eats or drinks to the lab.
- If you have to taste anything as instructed, spit it into the sink then rinse your mouth
- Any breakage or accident must be reported immediately.
- Apparatus must be cleaned and cleared away
What is a flame?
A flame is burning gases that give out heat and light.
What does luminous mean?
Luminous means giving out light on its own
What color is a luminous flame?
A luminous flame is yellow
How many zones does a;-
Luminous flame has.
It has four zones
non-luminous flame have
It has three zones
|It produces soot||The flame does not produce soot|
|The flame is unsteady||The flame is steady|
|The flame contains four zones||The flame contains three zones|
|The flame is not very hot||The flame is much hotter than luminous one|
|The flame is easily visible||The flame is not visible|
|The flame is quiet||The flame is noisy|
|The flame can “burn back”||The flame cannot “burn back”|
In the 3rd experiment the goose wire was held above the blue purple zone. The part of the wire goose above the flame is not hot.
What wrong with the middle of the flame?
It contains un burnt gas
Our 4thexperiment is to show that the middle of the flame contains un burnt gas.
A glass tube was held with one end of it in the middle of the flame and then the other end was lit and there was a small blue flame. The un burnt gas goes up through the glass tube and it is burnt at the end of the tubes.